Friday 18 July 2008

Miela


Miela, originally uploaded by Bright Side.

This is 223m/164g of the softest alpaca gorgeousness. I've deliberately slightly underspun it for extra softness, as I didn't want it to end up looking like twine! It's about 11WPI, so DKish weight.

I bought the fibre from Redhill Alpacas, Oxfordshire at our guild fleece day. The label says "rich fawn cria fleece from Miela". Miela must be very cuddly indeed if this fleece is anything to go by! I highly recommend Redhill Alpacas. This fleece wasn't too dusty and there wasn't a lot of VM in there either. It was the most expensive one there (we went by touch rather than looking at the pricetags!) but the others were also very soft, and in a good range of colours too.

Currently on the wheel: manx loaghtan. I gently washed the manx fleece, then dried it in the airing cupboard. I experimented a bit and although it does spin really nicely straight from the fleece, it's a bit quicker and slightly more even if I card it first. I've made a shoebox full of rolags that I'm off to spin now.

No comments: