Thursday, 10 July 2008


Caramel, originally uploaded by Bright Side.

I bought this icelandic fleece at my local spinning guild fleece day. There was 100g in the bag which had been washed once- after a good wash at the end to remove more of the lanolin I ended up with 74g, which is respectable I think. I literally just chucked it at the wheel, not separating the tog (the outer coat, in this case the long brown fibres) and the thel (the soft and short stapled inner coat). I toyed with leaving it as a single, but I decided a reasonably thick 2 ply would be easier to use as I was worried about the single breaking. There's not a great deal of it so now I'm trying to find a small project for it. I was wondering about a small felted bag or bowl maybe.

I've also been making progress on my Spindlers Quarterly challenge yarn, based around the idea of "Fire". I'm using my new Butterflygirl spindle, which spins really quickly and is very well balanced. I'm also using Butterflygirl fibre too, as I'm spinning some of her lovely blended batts. I'm really pleased with how it's coming on, I was worried that the colours wouldn't work in a thin yarn but it looks great.

In other news I have finally finished all of the reports! And there's only a week and a half to the end of term. I'm really looking forward to a break, but I also know that I'm going to miss my class terribly, so I've got mixed feelings about the end of term.

No comments: